Those seeking a taste of the Mediterranean in their own back garden can enjoy Sopwell House’s Executive Head Chef Gopi Chandran’s exclusive recipe. Create a hydrating and vibrant watermelon and feta salad that will reinvigorate your usual salad staples and wow your guests at your next summer BBQ.
Watermelon and Feta Salad Recipe
- ¼ Watermelon – Skin removed and diced 1 inch thick
- Feta – 200g diced or crumbled
- Kalamata olives – 50g pitted
- Red chilli – 1 finely chopped
- Olive oil – 10ml
- Garlic clove – 1 clove
- A sprig of thyme and rosemary
- ½ large lemon, remove rind and julienne (slice rind into thin strips). Juice the flesh
- Basil leaves – 10g
- Mint leaves – 10g
- To make the dressing, slowly and carefully heat olive oil, adding the garlic, chilli, thyme and rosemary, lemon rind.
- Gently heat for 3 minutes, add lemon juice, salt and pepper. It’s important to do this slowly to avoid burning any of the added elements.
- Set aside to cool
- To serve, spread the diced watermelon in the desired dish, sprinkle the feta on top, spoon over olives and distribute the dressing evenly.
- Finish with a fine chiffonade of basil and mint – this will bring out all the flavour.
Sopwell House’s delicious recipe is best served on the hotel’s terrace in the sunshine with a delicious Gin Experience Cocktail or glass of Champagne on the side. However if you’re recreating at home we’d love to know, so be sure to tag us on social #SopwellHouseRecipes
Sopwell House is a stunning 18th Century Georgian house located in the city of St. Albans deep within the Hertfordshire countryside. Located only 20 minutes from London St. Pancras, the hotel is the idyllic getaway just outside of the hustle and bustle of the capital. The hotel is the perfect place to dine boasting a 2AA Rosette restaurant, a vibrant Brasserie, an elegant cocktail lounge, and conservatory bar, all of which look out on 12-acres of beautiful gardens www.sopwellhouse.co.uk